As a session player, mainly for piano, I am able to easily work out chord progressions of songs by ear. I would like to extend my skill by listening more deeper into the song then just the overlaying chord progressions. I can do this by also working out other things e.g. the bass line, horn/ string section. After doing that, I will be able to change the song slightly to show a difference between the original and the arrangement. I then plan to lead a band into learning and performing the songs that I would have arranged.
For my research, I will listen to the original song by the artist and then compare it to covers that other people have done of that song. I will compare the styles used, if the tempo has been changed, if different instruments have been used etc. I will also listen to instrumentals of the song so I can listen to the song without any vocals to single out any counter melodies that I may have missed.
In order to achieve the goals that I have set for myself, I will need to develop my knowledge with harmonising chords, way to tell my ideas to the band, be able to take leadership with my band and to be able to be able to analyse the song well enough to know what to change. Throughout the 8 weeks, I will set weekly targets that I like to meet.
Week 1 - I will use this week to research and get a selection of songs from different types of genres that I could possibly arrange. I would have asked the people who I would like to perform in my band
Week 2 - I will have the four songs that I would want to arrange and start arranging them on Logic
Week 3 - By the end of the week, I would have finished the first song and I would like to also practice with my band.
Week 4 - By the end of the week, I would have finished the second song and I would like to also practice with my band. I would also practice the previous songs
Week 5 - By the end of the week, I would have finished the third song and I would like to also practice with my band. I would also practice the previous songs
Week 6 - By the end of the week, I would have finished the fourth song and I would like to also practice with my band. I would also practice the previous songs
Week 7 - I would bounce down all the logic tracks I had done and any rehearsal videos we had filmed
Week 8 - Final Practice
Bibliography;
Elliott, M. (2011) Adding flavor to chords - major and minor 7ths - Basix. Available at: http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/adding-flavor-to-chords-major-and-minor-7ths-basix--audio-12081 (Accessed: 28 April
2016).
Chordbook (2016) Harmonised Major Scale seventh chords. Available at: http://chordbook.com/learn-guitar/harmonised-major-scale-seventh-chords/ (Accessed: 23 May 2016).
patdavidmusic (2011a) Understanding: 7th chords. Major, minor, dominant, diminished. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Db4wlA8az0 (Accessed: 23 May 2016).
How to turn any (pop) song into a jazz song? (2016) Available at: http://music.stackexchange.com/questions/4015/how-to-turn-any-pop-song-into-a-jazz-song (Accessed: 15 April 2016).
Chordbook (2016) Harmonised Major Scale seventh chords. Available at: http://chordbook.com/learn-guitar/harmonised-major-scale-seventh-chords/ (Accessed: 23 May 2016).
No comments:
Post a Comment