Saturday, 29 October 2016

Personal Statement

Personal Statement 


The music industry is a difficult career to get into however it can be very interesting and rewarding. In the last couple of years I have been thinking of what I want to do with my life and I’ve realised that I want to work within music industry as a session player.

By going on tours to four different european countries, I have had an insight in to how life would be like as a session player.

Being one the the 126 dancers, I was picked to dance in the opening ceremony at the West Ham/ Olympic stadium (confidence) - only had six hours to learn choreography (fast learner) day before the event

Streets Ahead - 2008 - 2016 Multiple dance show 

Steel pans 2010 - ongoing 

volunteer at barbican children library summer scheme 


—————-
From a young age, I have been interested in music and performance. My interest in music began in primary school when I used to attempt to play the piano. After multiple people commenting on my natural talent, I began to take piano lessons and achieved proficient level of playing. In primary school, I was often called upon to play pieces of music that I had learnt in assembly in front of the whole school. I also played in piano concerts every term to parents on students.

In secondary school, I continued to play piano individually and in a band and briefly took an interest in bass guitar. In the band, I co - wrote songs and performed them in seasonal concerts at school. In addition to this, I gained an interest in steel pan classes that were running at my school. I immediately joined and learnt many different genres of songs and performed these at gigs at community events such as school fairs and charity events. I usually play a tenor pan and have experienced playing on a double second, guitar and bass pan. 

I am currently at westminster kingsway college studying UAL Level 3 Music Performance


  tour 
example of why I'm a good person for uni 

first para - piano play - session player/ quick learner, out side performances 
 gigs 
it has taught me…. 


gained experience 

--------------------------


The music industry is a difficult career to get into however it can be very interesting and rewarding. In the last couple of years I have been thinking of what I want to do with my life and I’ve realised that I want to work within music industry as a session player.

When starting secondary, I became intrigued in steel pans and immediately joined. Throughout the years, I had learnt many repertoires in different genres by memory and performed them at multiple seasonal school concerts, gigs at community events and also on tour to four different countries in Europe. This inspired me to , I joined Pan Nation Steel Orchestra , I have been able to participate in bigger performances such as The New Year's Day Parade in London. This experience has made me a better keyboard player as I have gained the skill of being a quick learner but has also made me versatile from performing as a soloist to performing in a big scale production. I have also gained a great amount of confidence not only when playing as a band/ group but also as a soloist. and experience in playing different genres.

In the summer just past, I participated in West Ham's opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium as a dancer. I was one of over 100 dancers in this production that had to learn choreography the day before the event. This was then performed to over 60,000 people and was also televised. I was selected to be the team leader to direct my team to be efficient and effective when practicing and performing. This experience has influenced my proactivity and enthusiasm for performance to different audiences.  

Currently, I am studying at Westminster Kingsway College taking UAL Level 3 Music Performance. This involves songwriting, band workshops and solo and band performances. As the only student that has keyboard as their first instrument, I am often asked to be a session player for their band or to accompany them for their solo performance. By working well with other students, we formed a band called Black Majesty. We have performed covers, in the style of neo soul, and an originals. 



- being selected to do certain parts
- boost confidence 
- quick learner 
- independent 

- leadership skills 

No comments:

Post a Comment